Monday, March 5, 2012

Sorry I've been missing out on updates. I mostly just got busy last week, but I'm caught up and even ahead a little. Above is a Miso-Marinated Chicken with broccoli, blueberries and strawberries. This one was for last Thursday and was very tasty. I should have marinated the chicken overnight and cooked it in the morning, but otherwise, it was perfect. I've been trying to branch out into different recipes, but mostly, my range is Japanese food in these little boxes.

Remember the Onigiri (Rice Balls) I promised? Here they are:

There are hundreds of ways to make these, but the basic recipe is short grain rice pressed and molded by hand with a little sea salt brushed over your palms. This triangle shape is the most traditional, but people make them in all shapes and sizes. You can even stuff them with a variety of fillings from Umeboshi plums to dried, salted salmon. Just make sure that what you're filling them with isn't greasy or the oil will make the grains soggy and split up the Onigiri. I decided to munch on just a few of these with some soy beans (they were frozen, but by lunch time, they thaw and are perfect for snacking) and more strawberries and blueberries. I seldom put sweets in the boxes, but when I do, it's always fruit. Fruits can still be high in carbohydrates, so count them as part of the carb portion of your box, and you're safe. Preserving the cuts until meal time is really easy, too. Most people try a salt water dip, but I don't like adding too much sodium to something already sugary. I sprinkle my fruit with lemon juice, and it keeps its color and shape. If you're really worried about it, keep a small ice pack handy.


And the last two! (What an update, right?)

The top is Teriyaki Salmon with ginger-glazed carrots and Tamagoyaki. Bob loves teriyaki, so I confess that I make this one a lot. Up to once a week. It's a basic, easy meal that can be churned out in fifteen minutes if you have the rice already. Good teriyaki sauce can come in a variety of flavors at your local grocery store if you want to save even more time. Otherwise, I use a simple mixture of one clove minced garlic, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and a sprinkle of grated ginger. When the fish is done, take it out to cool and throw in the carrots in the remaining sauce with a little honey and a sprinkle more ginger.

The bottom photo is today's concoction and catches us up from my camera. Salt Salmon, Octo/Fish Dogs, and Tamagoyaki. This is a really Japanese mix. Salt Salmon is fish (skin on) that has been cured in sea salt for the last three days. The end result can be VERY strong and fishy, but it's perfect for mashing up in the rice and is a great flavor once you get in to it. You can also try it with whole mackerel and grill it for an irresistible taste. The hot dogs are cut up like an octopus and fishes. I don't know why this is a thing in Japan, but it's so cute, I'm not objecting. It might have something to do with octopus being a popular food. In either case, these were cooked up in the pan and tossed in, too.

I'll try to be more punctual in the future, but here they are. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I love the octo dog. I agree with the home made version of Teriyaki, I always make mine just like Obasan did!

    ReplyDelete