Thursday, August 30, 2012

A 200 Calorie Bento

Turkey Sandwich and Red Pepper Broccoli

I've been pretty successfully dieting for a few weeks, now, but the pounds take forever to melt off these days. Still, I'm feeling healthier than I have in a while, and the calorie crunch has got me thinking creatively.

One of the key rules I've been observing is to munch a little throughout the day. Six mini meals supposedly kick start your metabolism and keep you losing more than three regulars. Unfortunately, it's kind of a pain to come up with something other than diet shakes and dried out, sugary snacks that fit under the bar. Finally, I had enough, but I didn't want to ruin my good streak.

Enter the 200 calorie bento.

This one's pretty simple. A turkey sandwich on 12 grain bread and Red Pepper Broccoli are the stars of this show. The 12 grain bread is definitely negotiable. A lot of multi-grain and whole wheat breads can pack in sugar to compensate for the drier texture, so read your labels carefully. This one is pretty hefty, clocking in at 120 calories on its own, but the veggies and low fat turkey meat help balance it out. I have a small smear of deli mustard and some Boston lettuce.

Red Pepper Broccoli is becoming a staple in my lunches lately. A few sprinkles of red pepper and some lemon juice while boiling add a kick to the trees without any added calories. If you want to do a speedy bento version, just fill a bowl with water, mix in 1 tsp red pepper flakes, garlic, and lemon juice with salt and pepper to taste. Cut up fresh broccoli florets and add them to the spice water. Microwave or boil for 4 minutes. After draining, shock the florets in ice water to keep that green color. Dry the veggies thoroughly before putting them in the box with the sandwich.

I'm going to try to keep these up as I go to school, so cheer me on in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment